Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Course
- Duration of Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Course
It is a 6 month course - full day from Monday
to Friday, 08:00 to 15:30.
A two weeks Introduction into the Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Course can be arranged separately.
The Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Courses will be run as follows:-
Please note that courses may be applied for and joined up to two weeks after the start date.
|Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Courses
- Course Fees
inclusive of VAT.
A reduced course fee of R38,000.00 is applicable if all fees are paid into Diamond Education College account prior to or within 2 weeks of the course starting date.
To ensure personal
attention, each course is limited to a maximum of 24 students.
The registration deposit of R14,000.00 is payable to secure the student's place.
availability of course date before paying a deposit. Acceptance will
only be confirmed upon receipt of the required deposit paid into our
bank account and proof provided.
Please check at our office the availability of bursaries in National Certificate Diamond Processing level 3 learnerships: Top or Bottom polishing. You can apply for a bursary if you are South African citizen, age 18 to 35 years, minimum qualification - grade 11 or 12 with maths.
- General Course Objective
- To prepare the student to become proficient in every technique involved in the polishing and cutting of diamonds.
- This course gives and develops the skills of the student to a level where he/she will be capable of cutting and polishing a rough diamond to the finished product without supervision or assistance.
- Course Outline
Students will learn:
- the correct use of tools and equipment used for processing diamonds;
- the setting up a bench and level a scaiffe for polishing diamonds;
- techniques on maintenance and balancing of all cutting equipment to ensure top performance for a high standard of work;
- how to look and identify the grain on different crystal shapes;
- how to look and identify the crystal symmetry, axis, plane, form and habit of diamond crystals;
- how to judge and what to look in determining a fine made round brilliant diamond;
- how to use the 10X cutters loupe, crown and pavilion gauges, girdle marker, mounting and setting of diamonds in various pots;
- how to use both mechanical and semi-automatic tangs and dops;
- the correct use of the loupe to identify imperfections and determine the practibility of their removal in elementary procedures;
- learning the difference in brilliance as a result of proportions and the qualities required for a well cut diamond;
- the blocking a diamond, both crown and pavilion;
- cutting crown facets on angle and equidistant from table to girdle, how to measure a table for percentage size;
- making all mains on crown into a perfect square of 90 degrees and making the in-between facets (bezels);
- cutting the pavilion mains and in-between facets on angle and matching them to the top mains by following the plumb line;
- knowledge of the critical angle for both crown and pavilion and variation of table size for maximum brilliance;
- brillianteering a diamond, putting the remaining facets on both crown and pavilion;
There will be a practical exam on
completion of this course, and the student will receive a certificate stating that they have successfully completed
the Rough Diamond Polishing and Cutting Course at the Diamond
Education College. The student will be awarded with the Qualification in the Diamond Processing.
- Applications must be made well in
advance because of the limited number of students
that can be accommodated at any specific intake.
- Admission is solely
at the discretion of the college.
- Fees are not refundable.
All equipment for use during the
course will be provided and remain the property of the
Diamond Education College.
- Accommodation and
Students must arrange
their own transport and accommodation.
Students will be subject to the
disciplinary code of the Diamond Education College. Any
student who is in breach of its code will be liable to
suspension or expulsion without refund of fees paid.
The course is presented in English.